4.3 C
New York

BREAKING: Paramount+ Poised to Pull Plug on Strickland vs. Hernandez Fight Amid Racism and Homophobia Backlash

Published:

By Editorial Staff
February 20, 2026 – Las Vegas, NV

In a move that could reshape the landscape of UFC broadcasting, sources close to Paramount+ indicate the streaming giant is on the verge of withdrawing its support for the highly anticipated middleweight clash between Sean Strickland and Antonio “Fluffy” Hernandez in just two days. The decision stems from a torrent of controversial statements and actions during the fight’s buildup, which have drawn widespread condemnation for racism and homophobia.

The controversy ignited last week when Strickland, the outspoken former middleweight champion, shared a meme on social media depicting himself as an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agent arresting Hernandez, who was caricatured in stereotypical Mexican attire complete with a sombrero and poncho. The image, which quickly went viral, was labeled by critics as racially insensitive and inflammatory, especially given Hernandez’s Mexican heritage and his public pride in representing his roots in the octagon.

(To get fully caught up before reading click here or image below!)

Click image above to get the ENTIRE BACKSTORY!

Tensions escalated further during a pre-fight press conference in Los Angeles, where Strickland repeatedly used the homophobic slur “faggot” while addressing reporters and hyping the bout. “I’m not here to play nice with these faggots,” Strickland said at one point, before doubling down multiple times throughout the event. The remarks, captured on video and disseminated across platforms like X (formerly Twitter), sparked immediate outrage from LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, fans, and even fellow fighters.

This incident comes at a pivotal time for the UFC’s partnership with Paramount+, which took over as the promotion’s primary U.S. broadcaster in late 2025. Unlike previous media deals with ESPN and FOX, which often overlooked fighter misconduct in favor of ratings, Paramount+ has adopted a zero-tolerance stance toward behavior that could tarnish its family-friendly brand. “This new era of UFC on Paramount is proving to be far less forgiving than media deals of the past,” said an anonymous UFC executive familiar with the negotiations. “They’re not just about the fights; they’re about the image.”

Evidence of this shift is already apparent in the early months of 2026. The promotion has cut ties with several top-10 contenders on impressive win streaks for infractions that might have been excused in prior years. Welterweight prospect Jamal Patterson, riding a four-fight streak, was released after missing weight by a mere two pounds at UFC 309. Similarly, lightweight veteran Elena Vasquez was let go following a unanimous decision win critics deemed “boring,” citing her grappling-heavy style as incompatible with Paramount’s push for “exciting, marketable content.” These moves underscore Paramount’s intent to clean up the widespread shenanigans that have long plagued MMA, from weight-cutting drama to post-fight brawls.

With the Strickland-Hernandez bout hanging in the balance, UFC officials are reportedly scrambling to salvage the event. Insiders reveal that if a suitable replacement for Strickland cannot be secured—names like Paulo Costa and Jack Hermansson have been floated but not confirmed—the card could undergo a major reshuffle. In that scenario, the welterweight matchup between Geoff Neal and Uros Medic would be elevated to the main event, while featherweights Dan Ige and Melquizael Costa’s bout would be extended to a five-round co-main event to fill the void.

Hernandez, for his part, has remained relatively silent on the matter, posting only a cryptic message on X: “Actions speak louder than memes. See you in the cage.” Strickland, never one to back down, fired back with another provocative tweet: “Paramount can kiss my ass—real fighters don’t censor.”

(Sean Strickland’s homophobic slurs in age-restricted video below. You must be logged into YouTube to watch.)

Paramount+ has not issued an official statement, but a spokesperson told MMA Insider that the company is “reviewing all aspects of upcoming content to ensure alignment with our values.” If the fight is indeed pulled, it could set a precedent for how broadcasters handle fighter conduct, potentially forcing the UFC to implement stricter guidelines or face ongoing scrutiny.

As the MMA world watches, one thing is clear: the days of unchecked trash talk may be numbered under Paramount’s watchful eye. Stay tuned for updates as this story develops.

Upfront Tony
Upfront Tony
Senior Editor, CEO, Black Belt

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img
spot_img

Please click here to check out our sponsor Rainbet.com and tell them that Upfront MMA sent you!

If you live in the USA you will need a VPN. The one we prefer is here.

Simply start it up and set your location to New Zealand!